Monday, March 16, 2009

VOICES: Commissioner Israel Gaither

With this posting, I’m starting what’ll be an occasional series that I’m simply calling “Voices.” Randomly sprinkled in between other postings on this site, Voices will consist of a quote or excerpt that I’ve collected over the years for a wide range of reasons. Some I’ve found to be insightful, while others are convicting. Sometimes they’re stirring, or disturbing: insightful or encouraging…whatever. Who knows – maybe you’ll find them equally moving to you.

For me, a good quote has power. Now sometimes this power comes as a result of their communicator carefully crafting his/her words, cherry-picking just the right ones and honing them to a fine point. Other times, a quote’s power doesn’t come from this kind of intentional “word-smithing,” but rather from the passion of the moment or circumstance. The context gives it power. There are also some outstanding quotes that come as plain-spoken, down-home, common sense or country wisdom. In any case, I find that a good quote has an impact that’s hard to ignore.

While I will probably offer some sort of setup to the quote/excerpt – that context thing I mentioned above – it’s my intention to let them stand completely on their own; they say what they say. Me adding my two-cents’ worth would only take away from the force of their message. But you, on the other hand, are more than welcomed to weigh-in with your own insight and comment. I’d love to hear your take on the quote.

Let’s start with a short one from Commissioner Israel Gaither – one of our most outstanding communicators – from a talk he gave last summer (2008) at the Old Orchard Beach Camp Meeting, up in Maine.

Speaking to a packed house of Salvationists, the Commissioner said,

“We can no longer risk spiritually dead corps. We can’t have dead social centers. We can’t have dead headquarters. We can’t have dead Salvationists anywhere.”
Wow…! Lined up right in the crosshairs with nowhere to turn!

What do you say to that?!

Keep your altar ready and your fire hot…!

Willis

No comments:

Post a Comment