Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sleepless in Atlanta?


How well do you sleep?

Are you one of those who have problems falling asleep? And once you are asleep, is it hard for you to stay asleep?

If you’re like most Americans, you wrestle with some aspect of sleeping. Studies and statistics say:
• Almost 74% of all Americans do not get enough sleep each night.
• Most will feel sleepy or groggy during the week.
• 51% of adults say they have problems sleeping at least a few nights each week.
• Almost one third of Americans have trouble sleeping every night.
• Half of all Americans can not get up without an alarm clock.
• Alarm clocks interrupt sleep cycle causing, lack of energy, feeling unrefreshed in the morning.
• Those with sleep problems are twice as likely to feel stressed and tired.
(Information from National Sleep Foundation, 2002 Annual Sleep Survey)

As a result, sleeping problems are estimated to be the #1 health-related problem facing Americans (CNN, May 1997). Furthermore, experts tell us that sleep deprivation costs $150 billion each year in higher stress and reduced worker productivity (National Commission on Sleep Disorders, 2003).

So what is it that causes our sleeplessness…?

The answer covers a long list of reasons which would include everything from a son or daughter returning home late from a date, to issues involving physical, emotional or psychological disorders.

Short of one of these more severe cases, however, a significant number of our sleep-deprived friends would tell us that they simply have a hard time “shutting down their mind.” They go to bed still thinking about that project they’re working on, that paper that’s due, or the problem that has them puzzled.

Me…? I have no problems dropping right off to sleep. My head hits the pillow and I’m gone. My wife, Barbara, on the other hand, is a card-carrying member of the “I-can’t-turn-off-my-mind” club. Many nights she’ll lay there trying to will herself to sleep. Doesn’t work… Wanting to be a helpful husband, there’ve been times when – led by the Spirit of God, of course – I’ve suggested to her that maybe her sleeplessness has less to do with an inability to log-off and shut down her brain, and more to do with the conviction of the Holy Spirit. I’ve tried to get her to consider the possibility that perhaps she has some hidden, unconfessed sin in her heart, or a guilty conscience that needs dealing with. I mean, since I fall asleep so quickly – secure in the knowlege that my heart is pure and my conscience is clear(!) – all I can conclude is that God is keeping her from sleep in order that she might repent of whatever dreadful personal transgression she might have willfully committed.


Surprisingly, Barbara doesn’t always appreciate my “Spirit-directed” insight! In fact, sharing these “revelations” with her usually gets me smacked, whacked, or kicked out of bed (further evidence of her guilt, if you ask me!).

In Cyril Barnes’ little book, Words of William Booth, he tells the story of a particular time the Founder had problems sleeping.

Late one night, Bramwell evidently heard his father stirring, and went to the old man’s room to see what might be the matter. He opened the door and saw the General pacing the floor, unable to sleep.

Bramwell says to his father, “General, what are you doing up at this hour? You should have been in bed long ago!”

Startled by the interruption, the old warrior stopped his pacing, looked at his son, and answered, “I am thinking about the people’s sins. What will the people do with their sins?”

Let me tell you, that story convicts me more than you’ll know. Why? Because I sleep very well.

I wonder how many of us there might be who, while deeply concerned for others’ souls, aren’t troubled to the point that it has ever disturbed our sleep or kept us awake (kinda makes me wonder just how deep our concern really is!). The thought of someone without Jesus bothers me terribly. But it has never caused me to pace the floor at night. Am I burdened about people and their sins? Most definitely, yes! Am I that burdened? Well…obviously not (wow, that hurts to write!).

While I don’t recall where I found this prayer, it seems appropriate to close this posting with these words:

May God bless you with Discomfort…
at easy answers, half –truths, and superficial relationships,
so that you may live deep within your heart


May God bless you with Anger…
at injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people
so that you may work for justice, freedom, and peace.

May God bless you with Tears…
to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation, and war,
so that you may reach out your hand to comfort them and turn their pain into joy.

And may God bless you with enough Foolishness…
to believe that you can make a difference in this world,
so that you can do what others claim cannot be done. Amen.

    Here’s to God also blessing more of us with sleepless nights and a floor-pacing passion for souls!

    Keep your altar ready and your fire hot...!

    Willis

    No comments:

    Post a Comment