Monday, July 13, 2009

What's Left Behind is Important

One of God’s incredible blessings on my life is that I am the youngest son of Warren Howell (who turns 91 later this month!). I’ve done nothing to earn it, and had nothing to do with the selection process. It’s simply one of God’s amazing gifts of grace that has marked me and shaped aspects of my personality, my work ethic, my parenting, and my views as a Salvationist.

If I had the time, I’d tell you about Warren Howell the Corps Sergeant-Major of nearly every corps we attended, or Warren Howell the Songster Leader, or Warren Howell the de facto corps officer of a small military base in Morocco, Africa, and the many other times where he saw a ministry-related need and filled it. That’s just the way he always was.

The way he is now, however, is something altogether different. In many ways he’s even someone altogether different. Alzheimer’s disease does that to people. Slowly, irreversibly, the quietly strong, spiritually passionate man I’ve known as my dad continues to fade away like an old photograph. The fragile, older man I see in his place bears a striking resemblance to him, but it’s only a faint representation. Many of the best details of his personality have already disappeared,

But throughout his life – one day at a time – my dad has built and handed me a rich legacy. It’s a blessing I deeply treasure, and take great joy in sharing with others. What’s more is that I carefully guard and protect it. You see, I wouldn’t want any careless action on my part to cast a shadow on the heritage he has passed to me.

As Salvationists, just how careful are we with the doctrine of and belief in heart holiness which has been handed to us by our Army forbears? Far beyond the lives of the Booths, Railton, Brengle, and other well-known personalities, a vast Army of faithful soldiers – the majority of whose names have faded from our memories – have proved the possibility of living a holy life.

I wonder… Are we in danger of allowing this spiritual birthright to fade until it becomes little more than a footnote in a religious history book, or will we pray that God’s Spirit rekindle this burning zeal that inspires us to live our lives out from under the power of sin? Will we hold to our God-given spiritual heritage of holiness or will we blend into the background in an eager attempt to look like everyone else on the evangelical landscape?

In a classic passage in his book Love Slaves, Commissioner Brengle shares his concern on this very subject:

“…it is this Holiness – the doctrine, the experience, the action – that we Salvationists must maintain, otherwise we shall betray our trust; we shall lose our birthright; we shall cease to be a spiritual power in the earth; we shall have a name to live and yet be dead; our glory will depart; and we, like Samson shorn of his locks, shall become as other men; the souls with whom we are entrusted will grope in darkness or go elsewhere for soul-nourishment and guidance and while we may still have titles and ranks, which will have become vainglorious, to bestow upon our children, we shall have no heritage to bequeath them of martyr-like sacrifice, or spiritual power, or dare-devil faith, of pure, deep joy, of burning love, of holy triumph.”
– Commissioner Samuel Logan Brengle
Love Slaves

I think his words have proven to be rather prophetic, don’t you?

Tell me...What kind of an Army are you leaving to those behind us?

Keep your altar ready and your fire hot…!

Willis

No comments:

Post a Comment