Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Safety Off!

I enjoy the writing of Erwin McManus, who pastors a very unique gathering of believers in the Los Angeles area. McManus is one of those guys whose spirit seems to reflect the same kind of daring and passion that marked early Salvationists. Like them, he’s outspoken and uncompromising in his belief that the Church is at her best when she is involved with and interacting with the world outside the walls of our sanctuaries and citadels.

The quote below comes from his book An Unstoppable Force, subtitled daring to become the church God had in mind. As you’ll see, McManus warns of the danger of buying into some of the popular concepts and ideologies that have been embraced by much of the Church here in the West.

I think there’s a word here for the Army as well…


“Out of the community church context has come an unending parade of pop and bumper sticker theologies – the kind that gives us comfort for all the wrong reasons. One of these in particular has both misguided the church and diluted the calling of every believer who is shaped by it. You’ve heard it said that the safest place to be is in the center of God’s will. I am sure this promise was well intended, but it is neither true nor innocuous. When we believe that God’s purpose, intention, or promise is that we will be safe from harm, we are utterly disconnected from the movement and the power of God.

“I remember sitting in the home of a pastor and his wife just after they had finished seminary. They were tremendously gifted and had chosen to serve in a small community of a few thousand residents. We began to talk about their future, and I suggested they move to a major metropolitan center, such as Los Angeles. I was stunned not so much by their response, but by the rationale behind it. With great passion, they told me that God would never expect them to do that. God would never subject their children to the danger and corruption of the city. I remember leaving that night wondering what was happening to the church.
If those preparing for leadership are looking for the safe place, who will lead the church into the dangerous places?

“Somehow we have missed the reality of the biblical experience. From Abraham to Paul, those who followed God were subjected to great dangers. Paul describes his journey with Jesus as anything but safe.

“In 2 Corinthians 11:23-28, Paul writes,
‘Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches.'

"The truth of the matter is that the center of God’s will is not a safe place but the most dangerous place in the world! God fears nothing and no one! God moves with intentionality and power.
To live outside God’s will puts us in danger; to live in his will makes us dangerous.”

I think he's nailed it!
God bless us with more Salvationists throughout the world who are eager to throw safety and caution to the wind by choosing to be in and stay in the "dangerous" center of God’s will. Give us more officers and leaders who willingly offer to serve in the dangerous places of our society and culture. And bless us with the holy passion to be dangerous to all of hell for Christ’s sake.

Keep your altar ready and your fire hot…!
Willis

2 comments:

  1. Hi book, the Barbarian Way, is excellent. I recommend it if you haven't read it.

    grace,
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Andrew. In fact, it's one of my favorites.

    Thanks for recommending it.

    Willis

    ReplyDelete